Understand core reason
By asking why multiple times we can have a deeper understanding on the causes of the higher level problem.
The goal is to land on a what or a how.
- Define something you have done/will do
- Ask why
- Answer why
- Repeat from #2
- I want to visit my mom every week.
- Why do I want to visit my mom every week?
- Because I feel like she is going to pass away and I don’t want to regret not being with her enough.
- Why do I feel like I will regret that I wasn’t with her enough?
- Because I feel like I need to make up for it.
- Why do I feel like I need to make up for it?
- Because I’ve avoided her and acted bad towards her all my childhood.
- Why did I avoid her and acted bad towards her all my childhood?
- Because I wanted to explore my sexuality but she was always so controlling that I couldn’t.
- Why was she so controlling?
- Because she was afraid that I would get pregnant.
- Why was she afraid that I would get pregnant?
- Because she never taught me anything about how sexuality works.
- Why didn’t she teach those stuff?
- Because she was raised in a society that forbids such talk.
- Why did I want to explore my sexuality?
- Because I got a blast of hormons when I became a teenager.
Feel free to use this tool for branching your thoughts.